Posted on: July 8, 2016
It doesn’t seem all that long ago that SharePoint was the cutting edge technology that all the “cool kids” were using. In the past couple years, though, its popularity has fizzled. Well… that’s all about to change. We’re here to tell you that Microsoft SharePoint 2016 is one of the coolest things we’ve had the opportunity to play with in quite some time, and we’re confident that you’ll fall in love with it, too.
So, what makes SharePoint 2016 so special? Here’s a look at what you can expect from downloading the latest (and greatest) version of SharePoint:
One of the most anticipated changes to SharePoint comes in the form of offering new and exciting hybrid capabilities between SharePoint 2016 and Office 365. Although we can’t tell you that the complete hybrid experience is available just yet, you will note some really cool changes that make hybrid activity possible:
- OneDrive Redirection — Okay, yes, this has technically been available via SharePoint 2013 (at least since SP1), but the 2016 version takes things to the next level. Here, your My Sites can be redirected over to your Office 365 subscription’s OneDrive for Business Host. Right on!
- Sites You Follow All in One Place — Whether you choose to “follow” something On-Premises or on Office 365, you’ll be able to see everything all in one place — under the “sites” app located in the App Launcher.
- Cloud Search — This is what most users have been anxiously awaiting: the unified search experience. Here, the Office 365 search will take over your On-Premises SharePoint search in order to provide you with results from both by utilizing the same, unified search. Keep in mind, though, that you must use the Office 365 search functionality in order for this updated feature to work.
- App Launcher/UI Changes — Whether you’re in Office 365 or SharePoint 2016, you want to enjoy the same uniform experience. App Launcher is being introduced and changes have been made to UI as a means of helping it to align with the Office 365 experience.
Infrastructure and Performance Improvements
Beyond its hybrid capabilities, SharePoint 2016 is getting a lot of well-deserved attention due to the amount of polishing that Microsoft has done. Some of the biggest improvements to the overall infrastructure and performance levels include:
- MinRoles — Enjoy the freedom to install just the role that you desire on specific SharePoint2016 servers. Not only will this install strictly what’s required, but will ensure that all servers belonging to each role are compliant.
- Increased Document Threshold (kind of) — As you know, Document Libraries are allowed to have 30,000,000 documents. Even so, 5000 is the true limit to what your database can handle unless you know how to index your columns. With SharePoint 2016, the 5000 document threshold limit seems to have been increased or removed because it adds Indexed Columns. In other words, the limit is still there, but you don’t have to worry about it anymore.
Improved Collaboration Experience
Having the ability to collaborate with ease across numerous platforms is an absolute must for today’s workers. SharePoint 2016 makes improvements to user experiences across all devices with a touch-friendly interface. It also offers major improvements to durable links and the site folder, both of which improve a user’s ability to share and access information from one co-worker to the next.
Our list of what makes SharePoint 2016 great gives you an idea as to what to expect from the update, but it’s definitely not comprehensive. If you want to learn more about what SharePoint 2016 has to offer and how it can benefit your business, we encourage you to speak with one of the pros here at Uncommon Solutions